Quick , Simple , Easy , Delicious , Wholesome meal , one dish dinner ... There are not enough adjectives to define this recipe.
Rice - 2 cups
Whole Masoor / Lentil - 1 cup
Potato diced , green peas or any veggie of your choice - 1/2 cup
haldi / turmeric powder - 1 Tsp
Red Chilli powder - 1/2 Tsp - Optional
Biryani masala or garam masala - 2 Tsp
Hing / Asafoetida - 1/2 Tsp
Mohri / Black Mustard Seeds - 1 TSP
Jerra / Cumin seeds - 1 Tsp
finely chopped onion - 1/2 cup
finely chopped tomatoes - 1
Oil - 1 TBSP
Water - 4 cups
Salt to taste
1.Heat Pan , Add oil. After oil is hot add mustard seeds , once they clutter , add cumin seeds and hing.
2. Add diced onion . Saute them till they turn nice brown in color. This gives the rice a nice burnt flavor.
3. Add tomatoes and saute them till they are nice and mushy.
4. Add veggies , lentil and give them a nice stir.
5.Add the turmeric powder , red chilli powder , biryani masala or garam masala. You can skip the red chilli powder , just the biryani or garam masala gives it nice flavor.
6. Add rice and give it a nice stir.
7. Add Water and mix it well.
8. Let the pulao cook on medium to low flame for 15-20 minutes. Alternatively you can use the pressure cooker and cook it for 2 whistles.
9. Serve with your choice raita or hot tomato soup or just
1. For people not consuming rice for various reasons , you can substitute rice with Daliya or cracked wheat.
2. This is good recipe to try in instapot or pressure cooker.