Kanda Bhaji / Pakora
Be a rainy day or snow strom, one dish that invariably makes it to the list at chai time.
1. 2 Big onions - Cut straight into thin slices.
2. Ajwain / caraway seeds - 1 TSP
3. Asafoetida - 1/4 Tsp
4. Turmeric powder - 1 TSP
5. red chilli powder - 1 Tsp
6. corriander-cumin powder - 1 Tbsp
7. Besan/ chickpea flour - 1/2 cup.
8. salt to taste
9. water to adjust consistency.
10. Oil for deep frying.
1. In a bowl add onions , turmeric powder , red chilli powder , corriander cumin powder , salt , asafoetida. MIx well and let it rest for 15 minutes. Onions will release water.
2. Add besan to make it into a medium thick batter. If you feel the batter is thick add water to adjust consistency.
3. Heat oil in pan for deep frying. Make sure oil is not too hot or cold.
4. Add spoonful of batter to oil to make pakoras.
5. Deep fry from both sides this they are crisp golden brown in color.
6. Serve hot with mint chutney or tamrind chutney with Hot ginger tea.