Aloo-Baingan Masala / Potato-eggplant curry
Another version of the spicy aloo-baingan sabzi. This one is a special maharashtrian recipe
This Recipe is free from :
1. 5-6 small eggplants - chopped lengthwise
2. Potato - 2-3 big ones - peeled and chopped in cubes
3. Onion - roughly chopped - 1
4. Freshly grated coconut - ½ cup
5. Tomato roughly chopped - 2
6. Garlic - cloves peeled - 3-4
7. Ginger - 1 inch peeled
8. Black mustard seeds - 1 Tsp
9. Cumin seeds - 1 Tsp
10. Hing powder - 1/4 Tsp
11. Turmeric powder - 1 Tsp
12. Red Chilli powder - 1 Tsp
13 . Mix masala (I used kolhapuri masala) - 1 Tsp
14. Vegetable Oil - 2 TBSP
15. Salt to taste.
16. Cilantro - finely chopped for garnishing.
Heat a pan on medium heat. Add oil. Once hot. Add cut onions and fry them till they turn golden brown color. Remove the onions and keep aside to cool down.
In the same pan add freshly grated coconut and saute till it turns golden brown.
After the onions and coconut cool down add them to grinder. Also add tomatoes , garlic , ginger , some cilantro leaves. Grind it into a smooth paste.
Heat a pan on medium heat and add oil.
Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds. Once they splutter , add cumin seeds and hing powder.
Add the grind masala and mix well.
Add turmeric powder , red chilli powder , mix masala and mix well. Add salt to taste mix well. Saute for another 2-3 minutes.
Add cut eggplant and potato and mix well.
Add water to adjust consistency . Cover and cook till the vegetables are well cooked.
Garnish with finely chopped cilantro and serve hot with roti or rice.